If you have fear of long words, you have hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia!
No no, it is not hippopotamus.
Yes yes, this string of 36 letters actually means fear of long words.
Read this from Google's 'Things to Ponder' and indeed, I wonder why use such a long word to mean fear of long words, ironic but true.
So, imagine you have fear for long words, and you go to the doctor/psychiatrist and say, " Dear doctor, I have a problem, I might be suffering from hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia'. Or maybe the doctor telling the patient, ' I believe you are suffering from hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia'...
I mean it doesnt serve the function at all, if the patient itself have fear for long words. Imagine, if I have this problem and I want to find out more about it, but I cant really do so because I believe the word hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia will appear in my research (say Google) and I believe it is long enough to cause fear in me.
Ok, maybe I was just thinking too much, creative thinking you see. Blame it on the exams! Hah! :D
And so I was Google-ing and found this:
Symptomns of Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia
- Irrational fear of long words
- Feeling of panic
- Feeling of terror
- Feeling of dread
- Rapid heartbeat
- Shortness of breath
- Nausea
- Dry mouth
- Trembling
- Anxiety
- Extreme avoidance measures taken
Interesting to know, something new to me and many, but there are indeed people who are suffering from it...
p/s: Perhaps my doctor friends could enlighten me abit...=)
(Muffy! Hehe... )
No comments:
Post a Comment